Friday, March 19, 2010

In Search of Meaning

There are times I feel lost. I will turn 23 next month and so far I have accomplished a lot of the major goals for my life. Marriage, college degree, professional career, financial independence. But I still feel like I don't know what I want to do with my life. I know I choose my current profession for the job security, but now I want more. I feel like I am still seeking meaning and accomplishment in my life. These are my current pie-in-the-sky life dreams.

I want to sail around the world.
I want to travel the world.
I want to live a fit and healthy lifestyle.
I want a profession that lets me be flexible, creative and meaningful.
I want to share enriching experiences with my current and future family.

B and I are starting to take steps for the first goal. We might get a boat before a house even as soon as this summer (we might even live-aboard). Second goal, I have traveled one country in Europe and one in Asia and loved it. Presently I feel guilty at putting money away for a trip because I feel like I should be doing other/better things with the money (boat fund, debt repayment, retirement savings). Third goal is going well. I have lost ten pounds recently and am almost back to my high school weight. The fourth is goal I yearn for but have a profound laziness that overpowers any will to stay motivated. The last goal has been put on the back burner since B and I moved across the country for jobs, but I want to prioritize.

I know that even if I accomplish everything on the list I could still have a craving for meaning. I should not be looking for satisfaction in a resume of accomplishments. I do have faith, but again, it is another thing that has been on the back burner in the last few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment