Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Problem of Choice

Zen Habits recently published an article on Making Life Decisions. One of the most striking things I noticed was the statement that more choice actually makes people more miserable. This spoke to me particularly today, when B and I had more than one argument about what are future living arraignments might be.

B and I are thinking of buying a house this summer, or next year. I want a duplex, and something in the city with future rental possibility. B wants something in a good neighborhood, without too many maintenance problems. Then there is still the possiblity of a live-aboard on a sailboat. Or there is a friend of ours who might come in as a roommate, but that would not work with the live-aboard of course. I am remembering with near nostalgia, when we lived in a rural town with few renting options and even few we could afford (simplicity is bliss). All this choice should make us happy instead of leading to a fight. How ridiculous is that?

Beyond that there are future career aspirations, all the choices! I am not sure what I want to major in, but I know I want a Master's degree. B should start a program too, but when? Where? And how exactly? Should I work harder at my current career or transition? Then there is also that novel I want to write...

I am overwhelmed with choice. Though I did stress myself out in college (often unnecessarily), at least there was a clear path. Now that I am living in the real world, and have been successful at several endeavors such as getting a "big girl" job, I don't know what the next step is. There is so much choice. Choice as to what I should actually do with my life, choice as to how to spend the money I now earn (save? debt? spend?), even choice as to when/if to have kids. I feel very fortunate to have a partner in this, but marriage is another milestone that is out of the way and leaves me thinking, what next?

The future opportunities are open so wide, so why is this causing me stress instead of joy?

No comments:

Post a Comment